Subject: re: CD32 Joypad...OOPS !
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 93 11:35:57 BST

> My guess is therefore that the CD32 joypad encodes the joystick/pad direction
> into THREE lines (thats 8 combinations, which is enough)
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Second thoughts - that's no good after all, you need NINE directions. Thats
up, down, left, right and the four diagonals plus an indication of when the
thing isnt being moved in a direction at all.

Oh well, it seemed to work at the time :-(

Unless the joypad can't do diagonals that is...hmmm.

Looking at a photo of the side of CD32 in this months Amiga Format pull out,
its has two normal looking joystick ports plus a "keyboard/serial" port too.
The joystick ports are actually labelled "Game controller", so I take this as
proof that the joypad DOES plug into them.

Technically, it is possible to use some of the joystick lines as an OUTPUT, so
it could say use a line to select one of two sets of 5 inputs. I know it can
be done, because I once connected my old A500 to a CBM64 using the joystick
ports. I wouldnt recommend it though, it worked for a while but I eventually
blew the CIA chip in the A500 :-(

I dunno....this is all sounding a bit complex for a joystick.

Martin.

PS - Sorry I've kinda strayed away from Amos again. It won't happen again :-)